Music and More

Why fundraising is hard

Fundraising has been an amazing exercise in humility. You know America is a huge reason why the Guatemala endured a 30 year civil war. I get frustrated and even discouraged because my judgmental self gets irritated and starts to become cynical when I get told I can't help.  The dreaded words "no". I want to explain the full history of how the Dulles brothers recklessly manipulated the region. I want to describe how our fear of communism resulted in the genocide of many. I want to describe the agricultural atrocities that we still chose to be blind to. I want to yell at how we can't afford to not help. Then I watch as I continue to be reminded that every little bit helps. I am reminded that I am not the only one who is aware of this country's shadow. I am not the only who one is sending money and effort to Guatemala. Despite most people in my small area of support being ignorant, blind, and uninspired about Guatemala, I can't and won't stop trying to pull the facade of perfection from the face of my country. We are free but others aren't.

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...