Music and More

Psychology of value

A few weeks ago I went to bar with some friends. It was actually a club. Yes I was a sore thumb in a room full of pinkies. Anyway, I was pretty much being courteous and tagging along. So I sit there in wonder with how wild, erotic, and liberating the folks on the dance floor appear, remembering my cool guy days. I am sitting in a VIP area. In Albuquerque this isn't really much except a small piece of real estate next to the dance floor that is quarantined off with red velvet rope, maybe the size of a closet. So anyway the group I am with welcomes me and says help myself to the table service. What goes through my mind is taking the bottle of premium vodka and selling drinks cheaper than the bar for my trip Guatemala. I have had my two drink maximum for the evening ;) (this night it was four, but I wasn't driving so we'll blog about this another time) so I just sat and observed the lifestyle.

What is most discouraging and frustrating is that the table service, as it is called, runs about $400.  The group I was with bought 2.  $800 for one night of fun.  Putting this into perspective, $400 dollars is a years salary for a teacher in Guatemala.  To make it worse something happened that upset the person that bought the service and this person tossed the drink tray shattering glass and bottles all over the dance floor.  I was blown away, embarrassed, and ashamed.  I was the bourgeoisie, I was with the group of people who felt obligated to entertain themselves with consumption.  Even worse was my lack of inspiration to say anything.

There was a disconnect from compassion as I  accented up the social classes.  I never made it very high up, but visited many events where the highest or elites made appearances.  I have had my share of evenings spoiled with overpriced luxuries.  I have convinced myself that my hard work is deserving of reward.  I have wanted to seem important, significant, glamorous, and valuable.  I hope as I hover below the average middle class lifestyle but beyond poverty that I seek value in information and understanding that builds efficient economies. 

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...