Music and More

Carnal

I just ran into Jimmy Santiago Baca, a hero of mine just 20 minutes ago.  I ran out of the store chasing him down like the day I chased down Daryl Strawberry after drug rehab playing for the dukes.  I asked him if he was the writer.  And he said "yes carnal".  I have never felt so dignified in my cultural identity than in that moment.  I felt so empowered.  To what has seemed like slang my whole life in one moment became ratified as a legitimate phrase.  The word carnal has a temperament . It has always been how my uncles describe a homeboy, good friend, or brother-like figure.  I have shamefully reserved that word for rare occasions, tucked it away like q-vo,orale, and other fine declaratives.  Today he reminded me that the chains I've put on my Chicano language can be liberated, the gringo might even find it romantic.  As I grow into a man carnal is carnal, not evidence of delinquency.

Check for his interview on NPR Monday, I caught him on his way.

I want to be a writer, carnal!

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...