Music and More

Tradition

I can't express how happy I am to have two daughters so connected to the concept of service.  I am a difficult man to be around at times.  In keeping with the Shadow theme, I carry a viscous critic around in my head.  My daughters get the brunt of it.  This summer they have quieted that critic.  They have nuzzled up against it and possibly tamed it.  I can't express how grateful I am to be blessed with such loving daughters.  I want my girls to be intelligent, independent, confident, and loving.  I am hard on them, only because I am afraid of what the world might do if I don't lay down a good set of habits.  I want to instill in them a Chicano culture based on tradition, sustainability, respect for elders, and honor for life.  How can I do that other than demonstrate some example of it.  And now I watch as they set the example for me.  So young yet so calm, organized, responsible, and aware.


My daughter Elena has represented herself with grace, elegance, sophistication, and fuerza.  This is my daughter Elena in the video.  She is a princess, a Burquena.  My daughter Veronica is just as spectacular.  She was not videoed or interviewed but she was there and involved.

A special thank you must go out to a woman I love dearly.  Stephanie Heikkinen forwarded me the invite to this program with a message I think Elena and Veronica would like this.

They both wanted to relax all summer and pouted about having to participate.  By the first day they were hooked, often bringing there projects home and into our back yard.  The volunteers and program leaders are special people making special impacts on local youth.  When you look for blessing they reveal themselves.  When you look for joy it hides.  When you become joyful joy pours itself onto you.  There will be fall and then winter, but right now I am enjoying the summer of my daughter's lives.

Catalina Sanchez their mother is another woman I love deeply.  She supported the decision to try this program out.  I think she provided the girls with the spirit of kindness.  I am a happy dad.

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...