Music and More

The power of progress

Progress' Paradox

Progress is required for movement, physical, mindful, spiritual, or systematic.  And progress is also voluntary for existence.  The human has progressed rapidly in evolutionary terms as compared to other species that have not.  Humans have rapidly enhanced our species over thousands of years, where other species have delayed major evolution for millions of years.  It made me consider our current dilemma surrounding improving, expediting, and enhancing.  There seems to have been some organisms that either did not require change or volunteered not to change, and for the sake of staying qualitative, there are those that were somewhere between.  Every cell, regardless of species, appears to have some form of perception for its needs and resources.  Maybe this means that each cell has its own personality, character, and agenda.  I enjoy this paradox because it helps me understand the power of perception as a function to progress.

Is culture a form of evolution, a technology, a group enhancement, that is a catalyst for progress or a stubborn force for replication of vetted traits.  When I think of the human cultures it brings to mind traditions.  Traditions seem to be the DNA for group think.  Cultures look like they could be the genes of communities.  I am deeply excited by the utility of tradition, and find myself having to adjust my culture and its traditions to survive for the sake of keeping up with technology.  I ask the question, does tradition become compromised by technology?  I know there are those who would suggest that technology can empower culture.  What perceptions do I have of changing versus not changing?  How does my need for technology correlate to my volunteered interest in it?  These questions invite such a different insight for me, leaving me more curious about my attachments to fear and worry.  I have grown beyond my Chicano borders and understand that being Chicano is more a reference point than an identity.  It also leads me to consider that culture might be a technology.

Culture has all the characteristics of a technology.  Some cultural characteristics include a way of reproducing the knowledge of a people.  Culture brings people together for a common interest.  Culture lowers the barrier to survival.  Culture serves a social purpose.  Culture is promoted by teaching, learning, and reflection.  These appear to share many of the same qualities.  Culture leads me to believe that it is indeed a technology.  Therefore it is a tool for progress' paradox.

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...