Music and More

Incentives...that don't

What changed?  In early childhood I learned how to learn through play with doses of structure and ciriculum, but without intention to learn.  The more I grew the less I played.  The more I grew the less I looked forward to school.  So knowledge was not a good incentive.  Interestingly sports became a larger part of my life.  It was how playing was integrated into school.  It was the incentive that motivated me to learn.

I once herd a man describe a metaphor about sport.  He describes sport as an analogy to war.  I never realized how directed I was.  My desire to play and have fun was exploited by a country designed for and gearing up a war culture.  When I describe war I don't necessarily mean military, I include corporate strategy and capitalist mentalities.  

If I wanted to play I had to have good grades.  Here lies the incentive.  I was lured into knowledge versus immersed through a passion.  I haven't thought about what could have been different but I feel like I joined a flow of people that never really learned for liberated reasons.  I was never in group of kids that were curious for knowledge.  I was in a group of kids curious about winning, popularity, and status.  The incentives created from athletics put in the path of education but it did not teach me think critically.  



I accept that society kept me in school and that might have satisfied thier need to educate me, but I am still wondering how I might have been inspired to think critically.  I think my adolescence and family lifestyle have a greater influence on advanced learning and it now seems unfair for me to be so critical of a system that is providing a service versus a solution.

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...