Music and More

El buen lenguaje

This won't make much sense to anyone who values correctness. It doesn't mean that I value incorrectness, but I am comfortable enough to understand that correctness is a paradox between appropriate and faulty. There is a monopoly on correct answers and it belongs to the privileged. It is revealed in our languages and validated by tradition, defined by linguists. As I work with my daughters to expand their understanding of themselves and the world, we are stretching our vocabularies. I find that it is a "both and" circumstance. Both and meaning that it takes time to realize the words we know are not enough to express ourselves appropriately and the "and" is how there are words that are unfitting and others that are preferred. It is rarely the under-served that are allowed to set the preference. So our foundational method for communicating and expressing ourselves is discriminant and polluted by preference, privilege, and suitability.

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...