Music and More

Self Isolating in solitude

Hello World!
As a programmer this used be the beginning of a new lesson in a language I was introduced to.  It may be equally valid today.  I am learning a language called social distancing.  We are in a pandemic.  There is a virus that is highly transmittable, fatal for the vulnerable, and incurable at the time I'm writing this.  And because of the uncertainty of how this can incapacitate a medical system, the world, my city, and my community are practicing social distancing. 

I love it.  I have noticed how the simplicity that isolation, self quarantine, or what I might reframe as gifted solitude, liberates me from the obligations that modern living teases me with.  My introvert is nurtured.  I am respectful of the anxiety of being alone can create.  I am around plenty of loved ones to feel fulfilled.  I get plenty of fresh air to feel replenished.  I have plenty of funds and resources to feel sustained.  I rarely leaned into luxuries and not even my coffee skills help me feel like I haven't even lost my gourmet caffeine addiction.  I feel blessed amid this tragedy.  

I walked into my daughter's rooms and straddled the thresholds to their entrances and asked them to recall the book we read together at bedtime about Anne Frank.  I invited them to put into perspective the  juxtaposition with what we are living and what she might have had to.  I asked them to consider how much more extreme her conditions where.  I asked them because I recognize how far worse the plague of human ignorance can be.  I respect the cosmic existence of this virus.  I take time to visit the through segments reported on the realities of this virus' bite.

I try and sympathize with the sadness that COVID-19 brings to families.  I work really hard to transcend the politics around health care, the economy, and partisanship.  I am glad I feel encouraged to write in these times.  I want the World to know that quarantine can be a gift of solitude, and paradoxically I respect how antagonizing being forced to turn off your human connections can be.  I am grateful to my ex-wife for loving so deep at one point in my life, it forced me to suffer the loneliness that I feel gives me to fortitude to appreciate the isolation I am asked to practice now.  I am reminded of my grandmother, reminiscing on how she would tell me that she was happiest in her home.

My grandma, I am beginning to understand how home is joy, and isolation is not so much a restriction but a gift of solitude.

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...