Music and More

Bosque from Ditches!

I turn right onto a road my mom and I traveled almost everyday during my middle childhood.  We made the trip going to school and then wrapping it up with coming home from grandmas.  Today I am a counselor, turning onto this same road to visit a client.  I get to the side street I need to turn on and there they are, the Po Po.

That's the first thought that pops into my head, then the other internal voices chime in with "5-0" and lastly the "La Jura", but I'm unmoved by it.  I turn onto the residential street off the main road.  A street I must of looked down a thousand times as we passed heading home, never even pondering that 32 years later I might be helping here.  I notice a sheriff's vehicle is parked at the intersection. His lights aren't on.  Further up the road several unmarked police SUV's line the road, those lights are.  I look into the sheriff's car and a square jawed, blonde, and buzzed cut county deputy, sits tapping at a mounted laptop.  I looked down the road and something is definitely going down.  I don't know what's happening, and what scares me the most is that I'm not shocked or weary.

I am not judgmental of the poverty that I find myself driving through.  I haven't lived in a poor neighborhood for many years.  But this is where I am from, where I called home.  One of my many homes.  I turn into their apartment parking lot, unaware of how unaffected I am with the situation happening not even 100 meters away.

I get out of the car and ask a young vato with tattoos scattered on his neck, face, and forearms, "is everything cool?"  He shrugs and I get that he didn't know.  I look like I don't belong here.  He is dressed in all baggy black clothes, and has the burque fade.  I just don't fit anymore.  He gets on his cell phone, while pacing, and asks without asking, gesturing. He throws up to me a backwards peace sign, bringing his two fingers to his puckered lips with a quick single head nod.  I know he wants a frajo, a cigarette.  And as if I never left, I respond, "Nah bro" while shaking my head and showing empty hands. I find myself surprised that the accent I put away long ago surfaced so innately.  I only bring it out now for nostalgic reasons.  I am not home and a part of me never left.

Now session complete, I am driving away.  I am leaving the neglected sidewalk-less streets behind. I look back into memories of what my life had looked like, and now, as a visitor.  I'm jolted by how versatile my perceptions have had to be.  I find myself in tune with the progress that I have created.  I am feeling the accomplishments of my family's work.  At the same time I am dealing with the surprise for how numb I was to seeing the chaos, the police vehicles, and raggedness.  It was a norm and that hit home in a self compassionate way.

I got on the freeway leading me to the privileged, blessed, and fortunate neighborhoods.  My heart literally hurt, it hurt with remorse, like if I just learned my girlfriend cheated on me.  I still don't understand the pain.  Maybe I hurt because I can't do anything more than I am right now.  Maybe I hurt because I get to leave and they don't.  I no longer see La Jura surrounding homes near me daily.  The families I work with have to find their way through the viciousness this place can create.

I get to my office having to prepare for my next client, sitting there, amazed at how far my mom and I have come, and I cried.  It wasn't just me and her.  We had a lot of help.  We had so many chances to fail and fortunately we found our way.  I don't like to think of us as rags to riches, but I do know we climbed out of some ditches.  I am now able see how beautiful it is to be apart of the bosque, despite having to spend some time in the muck of the ditches.  I want to say we made it out, but I am more proud to say I found my way back.

Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...