Music and More

Aqui en Guatemala


I'm here and being in a new place stimulates worry.  I have a story that eased some worry, but did not weaken my caution.  I arrived at the airport and things went well.  I walked out the gate, exchanged money, and into customs.  After i exited customs should have waited in the area just before you exit the airport.  I made the mistake of leaving the building and not being able to get back in.  You can tell you are leaving the airport when you see several men in blue vests that appear to be official.  It's is pretty clear when you are leaving the building because you can see the pick up area.  Also should have printed out my itinerary, I didn't being a technology snob, and I was left outside the building without access to my files because I had no connection with my phone.  My naïveté caught up to me because the airport didn't have wifi.  It may have but I didn't want to break out my iPad outside the airport.  I remember thinking just look like you are comfortable.  
This part of the story will helps with that.  I was waiting for awhile as my shuttle, a little red Chevy (Hostel Los Lagos red carpet service ;) ) didn't come.  I had no number, no phone, a language barrier, and a growing fear.  So as I look down the railing of the pick up area, searching for my name over and over.  The fear by this point had turned in thoughts, what next.  I kept calming myself and with every proposition for help from random locals, my anxiety gathers.  The pick up area looks like a concert railing.  This culture is very festive and people wait at the railing with signs and whooping, like they do when soldiers come home from deployment.  
So, starting to wonder what to do next, i start to pay attention to folks who have been there as long as i have, thinking they are here for the opportunity to make a quick dollar or worst case plan a movida.  If i rule them out and I need to ask for help, I can stay away from them.  Then I couldn't believe it, but I recognized our bus driver from my trip three years ago.  He also remembered me.  The small signs that demonstrate things are fine.  He help me connect with a little peddler who earlier I had ruled out, but ironically he had the hostel's number.  They picked me up in five minutes.   Here is Jairo from my trip three years ago.
Here is Jairo and I 3 years ago.



Immigrating Without Borders

      I immigrated from Albuquerque’s city life to a quieter Santa Fe.  Santa Fe is 50 some odd miles north of Albuquerque along the Camino ...